Lares Trek to Machu Picchu 4D
4 days - 3 nights
The Lares trek towards Machu Picchu starts at the village of Lares and is slightly shorter than the Inca Trail Trek, but higher in altitude. Thanks to this, the viewpoints you will pass will show you some of the most amazing, energizing, snowcapped mountain peak landscapes you can find in Peru. It will guide you through the Lares Valley, home of many traditional weavers famous for their homemade textiles.
There are a number of factors that make this trek a great alternative to the Classic Inca Trail. Firstly, and perhaps most importantly for some, is that it is a lot quieter than Inca Trail. Secondly, the route is arguably easier than the Inca Trail in that one doesn’t need to deal with as many steps.
We invite you to join us on this alternative route, where you will be able to enjoy breathtaking mountain views and dig deeper into the essence of Inca Culture on your way to Machu Picchu!
Day 1. Cusco – Huacawasi
We will pick you up at your hotel in Cusco at approximately 6:00 am. We will travel by bus to the town of Lares and will arrive at approximately 11:00 am. Here, we will enjoy a medicinal thermal bath in the hot springs of Lares. After this relaxing bath, we will have lunch. In the afternoon, we will begin our adventure hiking through surreal mountain scenery until we arrive at the hamlet of Huacawasi, where we will have dinner and spend the night. Total hiking time: approximately 6 hours.
Day 2. Huacawasi – Patacancha “Qelcanca”
Very early in the morning after breakfast, we will continue on our course, taking in the beautiful ravines and small lagoons of this area. Close to the small village of Patacancha, you will be able to meet local residents. A little way after Patacancha we will reach Qelcanca, which is where we will set up our second camp and have dinner. Total hiking time: 8 hours.
Day 3. Patacancha “Qelcanca” – Pumamarka – Ollantaytambo – Aguas Calientes.
After breakfast, we will continue on the trail running into more small hamlets and arriving at Pumamarka, where you will see rock constructions with your guide. Later, we will arrive at Ollantaytambo, which was once a very important place in the Incan Empire. In the afternoon we will take the train from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes, where you will spend the night in a hostel. Total hiking time: 7 hours.
Day 4. Machu Picchu – Cusco
After breakfast, in the hostel at 5:30 am, you will take the bus from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu for a guided tour of the ancient citadel. After about 2 hours, you will then have some time to explore the ruins on your own terms. In the afternoon, you will return to Cusco by train and then bus (the train typically leaves at approximately 4:55). Arrival in Cusco at around 9:00-10:00 pm.
Day 1: Travel by bus and train to the trailhead for an afternoon hike
Start time: 6:00am – End time: 6:00pm
Day 2: Hike from Huacawasi to Qelcanca
Start time: 7:00am – End time Approximately 6:00pm
Day 3: Hike from Qelcanca to Ollantaytambo – Travel by train to Aguas Calientes
Start time: 7:00am – End time: 5:00pm
Day 4: Tour of Machu Picchu and return to Cusco
Start time: 7:00am – End time approximately 6:00pm
How Often: Every day!
Group Tour: $520
Private Tour: for more detailed information contact us at email@example.com
- Transfers from your hotel in Cusco to Lares
- Professional bilingual guide (English – Spanish)
- 3 breakfasts, lunches, dinners and snacks
- First aid kit and oxygen tank
- Pack horses and mule driver
- Camping equipment (triple-occupancy impermeable tents for 2 people and sleeping mats)
- Camping equipment for the guides, cooks and mule driver
- Train ticket from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes and return Expedition train
- 01-night lodging in a basic hostel in Aguas Calientes with a private bathroom. It is possible to upgrade your lodging here.
- Entrance ticket to Machu Picchu
- Round trip bus ticket from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu
DOES NOT INCLUDE:
- First breakfast or last lunch
- Sleeping bag
- Visit to the thermal baths in Lares (about $3.50)
- Entrance ticket to Wayna Picchu or Machu Picchu mountain ($20.00), if wanted, consider requesting once you decide to book because we have to buy it together with the entrance ticket of Machu Picchu.